Wednesday 6 March 2013

It's been two weeks

It's hard to believe, but I've been in Singapore for two weeks.  I actually think I have started to adjust to the heat and to the day to day work including the 45 minute commute on the MRT.  I'm taking a couple of days off so will have 4 days to explore Singapore some more with Terry.  Tomorrow I think we are off to Sentosa Island and then on Friday we'll do the night safari at the Singapore Zoo.

Last Sunday we took a tour on the "hop on, hop off" buses.  It's hard to say we actually saw much of Singapore - other than a lot of buildings, but I definitely felt I had a better idea of where things were located.  I think Terry was too jet lagged to really notice much :(

As I mentioned in previous posts Singapore is a very modern city, but you don't have to look very hard to find some of the older buildings.  It's quite a contrast.  The one thing you will notice is the very large number of shopping malls.  Singaporeans seem to love to shop! Lots of very exclusive names too!  I'm trying very hard to shop in more local stores and definitely won't be eating at the Chili's on Clarke Quay.

Here's a few of the sights from the bus tour on Sunday.
A shopping mall, but the locals call this the Durian in reference to the spiky fruit that they love here. 

The Marina Sands Hotel - can't afford to stay there for sure.  But it is a very impressive building with the boat structure on the roof.  In the fore ground is Merlion Park (a Merlion has a lion for a head and a fish tail)

Shopping Mall on Orchard Road
I'll post more pictures on the weekend after our adventures.
Thanks for stopping by!
Melva

No comments:

Post a Comment