Tuesday 19 February 2013

Day 1...and the adventure begins

It's Day 1 in Singapore. The adventure actually began Monday morning in Vancouver when I left for the airport.  Flights were all good, just a really long journey.  It is a 13 1/2 hour flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong.  Leaving early in the day makes it really hard to sleep, but I did get an upgrade for this leg of the flight so at least I could stretch out :) Arrived in Hong Kong and had almost 4 hours to wait, then onto my flight to Singapore.  It's been a long time since I've been in a 747, but that's what United flies enroute from Chicago to Singapore via Hong Kong!  Didn't have a chance to see what was upstairs, but did get to stretch out across 3 seats as the flight wasn't full.  Finally into Singapore about 1:30am February 20th - that means I pretty much lost all of February 19th!
Managed to get a good sleep.  Up and unpacked and off to the food market to get some groceries for the apartment.  I'm sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with a colleague while in Singapore.  It's a bit of a commute, but is nice to have my own space while here - and the ground are amazing.  Can't wait to try out the infinity pool.
It's 11am here and 30 degrees Celcius - with the humidity it feels like 40 degrees.  It is about a 10 minute walk to the market and it felt like a lot further with the heat.  Will take some getting used to.
I haven't taken too many pictures yet, but had my iPhone handy on the walk (too many groceries to pack home to bring my camera).  Here are a few of the surroundings in my new neighbourhood.
The market is quite nice and lots of stalls and little stores - will have to get adventurous and buy my food from the food stalls, but I think that's another day!

The Optima - my apartment is on the 7th floor


Tanah Merah MRT Station - direct line into work every day
More of the neigbourhood
Not sure what this flower is, but it's very amazing!
Finally cooled down after the walk :)  I'm heading in to meet some colleagues for lunch - first attempt at the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit).  More pictures to come!
Thanks for stopping by!
Melva

No comments:

Post a Comment